Infusing alcohol is really simple to do and makes a lovely homemade gift. I’ve infused gin and rum to give away as Christmas presents this year, but pretty much any alcohol or oil can be infused this way.
Infused alcohols make lovely hamper items, and over the next few weeks, in the run up to Christmas, I’m going to share some tips on creating beautiful, personal hampers. It might just help you to get a few people ticked off the gift list, so keep an eye out.
It takes at least 3 weeks for the alcohol to infuse, but there’s no harm in leaving it for longer, it will just thicken and turn syrupy which is lovely if using it to flavour champagne.
- First, wash your containers in hot soapy water. I’ve used lovely jam jars that I bought off the internet which hold about 250 mls as I want to give people a few different flavours, not a large amount of just one. But you can use any container you like as long as it’s clean, safe and spill proof. If it’s just for you at home, you could use the original alcohol bottle to save from buying anything else.
- Next, fill 1 third of your container with what ever you’re flavouring it with. Try fresh blackberries or raspberries with a spoonful of sugar, fresh pears with a drizzle of elder flower syrup, candy canes, Worthers Originals, cucumber and mint, fresh apple, or anything else you fancy.
- Secure the lid and shake well.
- Shake every few days for at least 3 weeks. You’ll notice the colour of the alcohol will change as the flavourings get broken down. Different alcohols may turn slightly different colours even if you have used exactly the same ingredients to infuse them with, don’t worry, they’ll still taste delicious.
- Once you are happy with them, Sieve into a jug to catch any bits, rinse the containers and pour the infused alcohol back into them. By removing the items that were flavouring the alcohol, you might make more room in the container. Just top it up with the same original, unflavoured alcohol if you want them full.
- Secure the lid, label and decorate.
If you like this, you may also like: