Ok, so this is not really a recipe, more of a gathering together of delicious things to create something that looks and tastes an awful lot like a McDonald’s breakfast. But veggie! What a treat! You can see now why I’ve included it.
I’m going to just come out and say it: I’m a fan of McDonalds. I don’t have one very often, but when I do I always enjoy it, and I appreciate that they only use meat from British farms and free range eggs. I of course always have a Spicy Veggie Burger, (and lots of Mozzarella Sticks when they’re available!) but I am more than happy with that. When I was a meat-eater I really enjoyed the breakfast McMuffins and one morning a few months ago, for some reason, I was craving one so I decided to try and make my own veggie version. This is it.
If you can find quorn Sausage Patties, they will take your Veggie McMuffin to the next level, but if not, regular quorn sausages will work fine like I have used here. The cheese slice should be one of those cheap, rubbery craft-style cheese slices you get on burgers at fairgrounds. I have added a sliced mushroom (fried of course) as I like them, but if you’re not a fan, leave it out. We’re trying to emulate cheap fast food here guys, this is an unhealthy treat, embrace it and enjoy it!
- 1 white or cheese breakfast muffin, lightly toasted
- 1 large chestnut mushroom, washed, sliced and fried until golden brown.
- 1 free range egg, fried to your liking
- 1 quorn sausage or Sausage Patty, cooked to the packet instructions. If using a sausage, slice it length-ways down the middle once it’s cooked so it sits nicely on the stack.
- 1 cheese slice
- Stack it up – muffin bottom, mushrooms, egg, sausage, cheese, muffin top.
- Dig in!