These chickpeas are really quick and easy to prepare, and they taste fantastic. I like them on a wrap with lettuce, red onion and a squeeze of mayonnaise or with a simple mixed salad for an easy, tasty lunch. They would also make a great starter mixed with chopped fresh tomatoes and served hot on slices of crusty bread. Yum!
I really like Chickpeas, they’re naturally gluten free, cheap and packed with protein. They are very versatile and are commonly used to bulk out curries, ground up to make veggie burgers and of course, pureed into houmous. But they’re also pretty good in their own right, so I’ve kept this recipe simple, the chickpeas are heated through with a few spices, lemon juice and tomato puree, and they taste great.
They store really well in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days and can be eaten hot or cold.
Ready in 10 mins – Serves 2.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- A 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- Half a teaspoon of paprika
- Half a teaspoon of cumin
- A good pinch of nutmeg
- A good pinch of cayenne pepper
- A good pinch of dried mint
- A good pinch of tarragon
- A good pinch of black pepper
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Put the olive oil and drained chickpeas in a pan over a medium heat.
- Once hot, add the spices and mix well.
- Cook for a few mins until the spices have warmed and are fragrant.
- Add the puree and lemon juice.
- Mix well and cook for about 5 mins, until well combined and hot throughout.
- Serve however you like, hot or allow to go cold.
If you liked this recipe, you may also like: