Curly Kale is a fantastic, underappreciated veg. It’s similar to cabbage but with a subtler flavour and it’s packed full of Iron and nutrients. It’s pretty versatile too and can be eaten raw (see my Kale and Broccoli Coleslaw) or boiled and served with a Sunday roast like you would with cabbage. However, this recipe for fried Kale is my favourite. It literally takes about 5 mins to make and is delicious served with poached eggs and a round of wholemeal, seeded toast. The lemon juice adds a lovely citrus tang that complements eggs really well. I have this breakfast about 3 times a week as it’s so quick and tasty. Give it a go, you may be converted.
Ready in 5 mins – serves 1.
- 25g of curly kale, stalks removed
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small knob of butter
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Heat a frying pan on the hob to a medium heat with oil and butter.
- When the butter is melted, add the kale and lemon juice. – Pic 1 (this will look like far too much kale for one person, but it will wilt down)
- Fry for a few mins, stirring regularly until wilted – Pic 2
- Serve immediately.