This dish is rich and creamy with subtle aromatic flavours and a hint of lemon, perfect for a date night or dinner party. It’s ready in about 20 mins and is really easy to prepare.
We eat a lot of salmon in our house, we love it. It’s such a tasty, versatile fish that’s reasonably priced and really good for you. We always have a few fillets in the freezer and we just get a couple out, a few hours before dinner to defrost. Usually we wrap the fillets in foil and oven bake them with a drizzle of oil and a good pinch of salt and black pepper. But for this dish, I like the fish to pick up all the lovely flavours in the pasta sauce, and why have two kitchen appliances on, using electricity when you can just have one? I also use the same pan to cook everything, just to save on the washing up.
If you have issues digesting creamy dishes, or just prefer the cream cooked off for a bit longer, I would follow all the instructions as written, but don’t add the salmon with the garlic and lemon. When you add the cream, simmer for a few mins, then add the salmon and continue to simmer until the salmon is cooked, then continue with the instructions as stated.
Ready in about 20 mins – Serves 2
- 150g of dry spaghetti
- 200g of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
- 2 skinless and boneless salmon fillets, cut into chunks
- The rind from one whole lemon
- A good pinch of black pepper
- The juice from half a lemon
- 200mls of double cream
- Half a teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of tarragon
- 25g of fresh Parmesan, grated
- Place the broccoli and spaghetti in a pan on the hob, and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 mins, until the spaghetti is just cooked. (Throw a small piece of spaghetti at a tiled wall, if it sticks, it’s cooked – great fun!)
- Save 100mls of the water used to cook the pasta and broccoli, and drain the rest. Set the spaghetti and broccoli to one side.
- Put the pan back onto the hob on a medium heat and add the oil and onion.
- Cook for a few mins until the onion has softened, then add the garlic, salmon, lemon rind, black pepper and lemon juice.
- Cook for a few mins to warm up the garlic, then add the pasta water, double cream, oregano, tarragon and Parmesan.
- Simmer for a few mins, stirring regularly, until the salmon is cooked through.
- Add the cooked spaghetti, broccoli and mix well.
- Once everything is hot and well combined, you’re ready to serve.
If you liked this recipe, you may also like: