Up North they have Cauliflower Cheese with their roast dinners, gravy and all. And hey, I’m not judging, I have gravy on pizza! But I think it would be a shame to smother this gorgeous, rich, cheesy, creamy version in gravy. This is a luxurious Cauliflower cheese, made with double cream and mature cheddar cheese. Serve with salmon en croute and roasted parsnips, or a jacket potato and veggie steak for a perfect date night meal.
Store any left overs in an airtight container in the fridge, then reheat once in the microwave.
See my tips on How to Prep Cauliflower Like a Pro here.
Ready in 40 mins (10 mins prep, 10 mins on the hob, 20 mins in the oven) – serves 4.
- 600g of fresh cauliflower
- 25g of butter
- 25g of cornflour
- 300mls of double cream
- 200mls of milk
- 200g of mature cheddar cheese, grated
- A good pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200c / 180c fan / gas mark 6.
- Put a large pan over a high heat and add the cauliflower and enough cold water to just cover the veg.
- Bring to the boil and cook the cauliflower for about 5 mins, or until you can just get a fork through, it should still feel a bit tough.
- Drain off the water, put the cauliflower to one side and put the pan back on the hob. Turn the heat down to a medium heat and add the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the cornflour and whisk it in. – Pics 1 & 2
- The flour will absorb all the butter and turn into a paste (this is a roux). Keep whisking for a minute to cook out the flour, then start adding the cream a couple of tablespoons at a time. – Pic 3
- Make sure the cream is well combined before adding the next drop (see clip below)
- Don’t worry if the sauce starts to look greasy, like it can’t possibly absorb more liquid, it can, just keep going. – Pic 4
- Once all the cream has been added, mix in the milk in the same way, whisking continuously.
- Eventually the roux will soften and start looking like a sauce. Once all the milk and cream is combined, add the cheese. – Pics 5 & 6
- Once the cheese is melted, add the cauliflower and black pepper and mix well. – Pic 7
- Transfer the cauliflower cheese to an oven proof dish and bake for 20 mins until golden brown on top. Pics 8 & 9
If you like this recipe, you may also like: