Up North they have Cauliflower Cheese with their roast dinners, gravy and all. And hey, I’m not judging, I have gravy on pizza! But I think it would be a shame to smother this gorgeous, rich, cheesy, creamy version in gravy. This is a luxurious Cauliflower cheese, made with double cream and mature cheddar cheese. Serve with salmon en croute and roasted parsnips, or a jacket potato and veggie steak for a perfect date night meal.
Store any left overs in an airtight container in the fridge, then reheat once in the microwave.
Ready in 40 mins (10 mins prep, 10 mins on the hob, 20 mins in the oven) – serves 4.
- 600g of fresh cauliflower
- 25g of butter
- 25g of cornflour
- 300mls of double cream
- 200mls of milk
- 200g of mature cheddar cheese, grated
- A good pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200c / 180c fan / gas mark 6.
- Put a large pan over a high heat and add the cauliflower and enough cold water to just cover the veg.
- Bring to the boil and cook the cauliflower for about 5 mins, or until you can just get a fork through, it should still feel a bit tough.
- Drain off the water, put the cauliflower to one side and put the pan back on the hob. Turn the heat down to a medium heat and add the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the cornflour and whisk it in. – Pics 1 & 2
- The flour will absorb all the butter and turn into a paste (this is a roux). Keep whisking for a minute to cook out the flour, then start adding the cream a couple of tablespoons at a time. – Pic 3
- Make sure the cream is well combined before adding the next drop (see clip below)
- Don’t worry if the sauce starts to look greasy, like it can’t possibly absorb more liquid, it can, just keep going. – Pic 4
- Once all the cream has been added, mix in the milk in the same way, whisking continuously.
- Eventually the roux will soften and start looking like a sauce. Once all the milk and cream is combined, add the cheese. – Pics 5 & 6
- Once the cheese is melted, add the cauliflower and black pepper and mix well. – Pic 7
- Transfer the cauliflower cheese to an oven proof dish and bake for 20 mins until golden brown on top. Pics 8 & 9
If you like this recipe, you may also like: