Coleslaw is a firm favourite in our house, and a staple dish at any BBQ, buffet or party. It goes with pretty much every savoury dish (even sausage and brown sauce sandwiches – try it!) and its so quick and easy to make yourself.
Normally, coleslaw is made using white cabbage, but I’ve used red cabbage here to give it a lovely pink tint. If you’re able to leave it in the fridge for a few hours before serving, the colour from the red cabbage will bleed out, making the coleslaw even pinker. It’s eye catching, inviting and tastes great. It will definitely impress your guests at a party, and will liven up a salad or sandwich at lunch.
Red cabbage is such a pretty, versatile vegetable, I love it. I would always use fresh cabbage for this recipe, but any leftovers you may have, chop up and freeze, then you can boil or fry it straight from frozen to use in other dishes.
Ready in 10 mins. This makes a large bowl, enough for about 6 people.
- 150g of fresh red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 100g of red onion, thinly sliced (see my post How to Chop Onions Quickly and Safely for tips)
- 100g of carrot, grated (no need to peel, just wash, top and tail)
- 200g of mayonnaise
- A good pinch of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. – It’s as simple as that!
If you liked this recipe, you may also like:
One thought on “Pink Coleslaw”
Your recipe is right in time for summer.
LikeLiked by 1 person